Friday, May 8, 2020

A Spring Cocktail

Spring has sprung! I was chatting with a friend today about what cocktails seem to embody spring. More specifically, what spirits seem to deliver a sense of freshness that one might also associate with how spring feels?  



We decided it was gin. Yes, gin.  

Now, I’m not known to be a fan of gin. I have always found the juniper overpowering. I was fortunate enough to tour a gin distillery in London and the drink served after the tour was absolutely delicious. It was a simple gin & tonic, but it was made well, with balance and quality ingredients. I decided right then and there that I should be open-minded to gin and perhaps give it another shot.  

So, for spring I’m suggesting a gin cocktail to celebrate the freshness of the flowers, the breezes in the air, and the chance to delight in nature before the murderous heat of summer takes over.  

I've been loving a version of the Bees Knees from a local bar. The traditional a Prohibition Era cocktail is made with gin, honey or honey syrup, and lemon juice.  My local joint adds rosemary to the mix and it’s honestly quite delightful. I made this at home last week and even though I’m not certain I matched their recipe, what I created as delicious.  

Anna’s Bees Knees recipe  
! Shot of quality gin 
Tablespoon Honey Rosemary Syrup (50/50 water warmed in a saucepan, add rosemary then strain and cool) 
Stir and pour over ice 

My friend and I worked out a drink we decided we’d call a Spring Fling. For my taste, I would muddle the ingredients, add the gin, then strain that over crushed ice and finish, but you could leave the muddling in the glass for a more colorful presentation.  

Spring Fling recipe 
Muddle cucumber & mint with sweet lavender syrup  
1 shot of quality gin, pour over muddling  
Strain over ice in a tumbler glass 
Top with a splash of rose champagne 
Garnish with mint sprig  

Cheers and drink responsibly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment